- Minimum 300 words
- Minimum two quotes from two different sources (if applicable)
- A headline formatted such that only the first word and proper nouns are capitalized
- A deck. For example, In one of our articles from 2020, the title of the article was “Crew Dragon soars at SpaceX Launch” with the deck being “The first launch of astronauts from American soil in nine years”.
- A related feature photo with a caption and photo credit. Landscape-style photos are preferred. We will not accept photos that are not your own or that are not in the public domain. The format of the photo credit follow “Image by [name of photographer if possible] via [name of website].”
- Online sources should be hyperlinked within the article instead of being organized as a Works Cited page.
Required personal information:
- Full name
- Whether you are a student (if so, which grade), parent, staff member, or another community member
A submission will not be published if it is…
- Poorly written
- Subject to the discretion of The Hummer‘s editors.
- Including but not limited to bullying, intimidation, or harassment.
- Including but not limited to prejudice based on race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, religion, or age.
- Printed in another publication
- The Hummer considers plagiarism unacceptable.
- Potentially libelous
- Libel is defined as a published false statement that is damaging to a person’s reputation; a written defamation.
- Email your submission to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Copyright will be assigned to The Hummer.
- Submissions will be reviewed by Hummer editors prior to publication.
- Newspaper story genres include news, opinion, features (including reviews), and sports/activities.
- Other media can be submitted as well; for example, The Hummer welcomes comics.